After talking to a friend just to the north of me, he told me about the app DROID-Star for Android. As I only have apple devices, this wasn’t initially an option for me, however I do have an Android TV box which I use for Amateur Radio, so will review it from that device.
At the time of writing this review, I must state it is an Early Access version.
This app connects to D-Star and Yaesu System Fusion reflectors and repeaters via UDP and decodes audio and data in software. No AMBE hardware is required. It is written by Doug McLain.
The two option menus at the top of the screen allow you to Reload DMR IDs, Reload host files, and check the current version. I recommend reloading these.
From here you have the following options:
- Mode – select what mode you want, this could be REF, XRF, DCS, YSF, DMR, P25 or NXDN.
- Before pressing connect, select your Host, and fill in the other details.
Once working you will be able to listen into the room you select and it will display the call sign and even caller ID (if there is one), on the user that is transmitting.
As I said earlier, this app will no doubt be updated. I will try and keep this review updated as the app changes, but this may not be possible. Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed. If there are other apps you would like us to look at or think we should know about, please let me know. Don’t forget to subscribe to our posts by putting in your email address on the above follow us page.
I also spoke to Doug AD8DP, who wrote this app, and he said to mention that the app is very much in beta development stage. He plans on users being able to add custom reflectors/servers and so on. He also wants to add TX ability with the choice between on board software IMBE/AMBE encoding or remote AMBE server. He also said to me that he APK installer file can be downloaded directly here for Amazon Fire users and others without access to the Google Play Store: http://www.dudetronics.com/radio/DroidStar.apk
If you enjoyed this read, please don’t forget to subscribe to our page so you get updates every time we post new updates.
Other Interesting Reads
- DROID-StarAfter talking to a friend just to the north of me, he told me about the app DROID-Star for…
- WizNet DMRThe WizNet DMR app is still in beta testing, and at the time of writing this, you have to…
- Mini Keyboard OptionsI bought this wireless keyboard/mouse which was very cheap. It does not come with batteries, but come with a USB dongle. It has a fantastic range since it is 2.4GHz RF. The back also has good grip which apparently isn’t common on all models. You can select what colour you want the plastic to be also.…
- Orion Push to TalkOrion is an app that isn’t really known in my world, perhaps because it isn’t available on all platforms,…
- Using an Android TV Box for Ham RadioIf you want to get onto Digital Radio for less (way less) than $100, then you may be interested…