After talking to a friend just to the north of me, he told me about the app DROID-Star for Android. As I only have apple devices, this wasn’t initially an option for me, however I do have an Android TV box which I use for Amateur Radio, so will review it from that device.
At the time of writing this review, I must state it is an Early Access version. It has been updated slightly since.
This app connects to D-Star and Yaesu System Fusion reflectors and repeaters via UDP and decodes audio and data in software. No AMBE hardware is required. It is written by Doug McLain.
The two option menus at the top of the screen allow you to Reload DMR IDs, Reload host files, and check the current version. I recommend reloading these.
From here you have the following options:
- Mode – select what mode you want, this could be REF, XRF, DCS, YSF, DMR, P25 or NXDN.
- Before pressing connect, select your Host, and fill in the other details.
Once working you will be able to listen into the room you select and it will display the call sign and even caller ID (if there is one), on the user that is transmitting.
As I said earlier, this app will no doubt be updated. I will try and keep this review updated as the app changes, but this may not be possible. Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed. If there are other apps you would like us to look at or think we should know about, please let me know. Don’t forget to subscribe to our posts by putting in your email address on the above follow us page.
I also spoke to Doug AD8DP, who wrote this app, and he said to mention that the app is very much in beta development stage. He plans on users being able to add custom reflectors/servers and so on. He also wants to add TX ability with the choice between on board software IMBE/AMBE encoding or remote AMBE server. He also said to me that he APK installer file can be downloaded directly here for Amazon Fire users and others without access to the Google Play Store: http://www.dudetronics.com/radio/DroidStar.apk
Another site is here (it keeps changing): https://napkforpc.com/apk/org.dudetronics.droidstar/?fbclid=IwAR2S2Xmi-WZBcseYtkk0oNJkj7t-xPXTLblR5LKfzE_VL-DU67bvCyRh5-4
I have now heard many people use this app with great ease. The biggest question I have had is what is the password. Just put in your DMR network username and password.
One of the good rooms is YSF with Host 0-0-CQ-UK-Aussie. Then again, I am from downunder, but you might hear me on this one.
Please post and questions or comments below. Or join the discussion at https://groups.io/g/DroidStar
If you enjoyed this read, please don’t forget to subscribe to our page so you get updates every time we post new updates.
Using DMR with DROID-Star
I have found most people struggle to use this app on DMR. DMR requires a few other options to be set as other networks do not need all these filled out correctly or at all.
After you have installed the software, go to settings area and put in the following. First put in your call sign then your DMR ID number. If you don’t have one, then you will need to get one.
You should then update the ESSID number other than blank. If it is a second radio, I use 2.
Then put in your Password that you put in for your BrandMeister account. If your unsure what that is, go to BrandMeister Self Care area and set it again.
Once the above has been done, click on ‘Update Hosts” then “Update ID files”, and this will make sure everything is updated.
Then return to the main screen and change the mode to DMR. Change the host to BM_3102_United_States (for example, this can be changed later). Then enter the talk group you want to go to adn press the connect button. Press the big blue button and start testing.
I suggest you test it on a quiet talk group and if you have another radio, listen to what you sound like. Adjust the mic gain as often this can be set to high. You don’t want to test it on a very busy talk group – it only upsets people.
Just remember, DROID-Star is being made by a volunteer, so updates will come in time. Currently it is really important you check your audio first as it can be very clear you are using a PC and not a radio.
Hope this has helped. Please let me know. Below are some other interesting reads you may enjoy also.
Other Interesting Reads
- Solar Data & PropagationThere are several website that tell you what bands are open in your area. Most people paste them on…
- DROID-StarAfter talking to a friend just to the north of me, he told me about the app DROID-Star for…
- WizNet DMRThe WizNet DMR app is still in beta testing, and at the time of writing this, you have to…
- Mini Keyboard OptionsI bought this wireless keyboard/mouse which was very cheap. It does not come with batteries, but come with a USB dongle. It has a fantastic range since it is 2.4GHz RF. The back also has good grip which apparently isn’t common on all models. You can select what colour you want the plastic to be also.…
- Orion Push to TalkOrion is an app that isn’t really known in my world, perhaps because it isn’t available on all platforms,…
- Using an Android TV Box for Ham RadioIf you want to get onto Digital Radio for less (way less) than $100, then you may be interested…
- GD-77 Won’t connect to PCI have been using my Radioddity now for some years and love it. Though upgrading this to the OpenGD77 opened a whole new world…
- DudeStarHere is a free windows program that will connect your PC to: DMR Yaesu Fusion DStar M17 P25 NXDN You can do all this…
- Welle.ioWelle.io is a DAB and DAB+ software defined radio (SDR). It runs on Windows, Linux and embedded devices like the Raspberry Pi 2 and…
- TreehouseAn unusual name, but a catchy name no less, just like Peanut that was written by the same person, David PA7LIM. If you like Peanut, then you will like this project also. This project, like Peanut, includes some amazing coding and thinking.…
- Software Defined Radio (SDR)If you don’t have one of the latest and greatest expensive scanners, you will struggle to listen to a lot of transmissions. While there…
- BlueDV Windows 10 GD-77I found it hard to find useful information on how to run the OpenGD-77 hotpot mode with Windows 10. At the time of writing this, there is a lot about this topic using a pistar and even android or ISO, but not much with Windows 10. This is my experence with BlueDV and Open GD-77 using a Windows 10 PC.…
- Iphone won’t download photosI get the “Device is unreachable” Error message when trying to import media from iPhone to Windows 10 PC. …
- ProScan and ProScan Client UpdateI recently started using ProScan after years of using FreeScan. I have always enjoyed using FreeScan as it is easy to setup, I can download outputs from the software, and the main reason “it works”. However ProScan seems to be more graphical and has different features also.…
- ProScan and ProScan ClientI recently started using ProScan after years of using FreeScan. I have always enjoyed using FreeScan as it is easy to setup, I can download outputs from the software, and the main reason “it works”. However ProScan seems to be more graphical and has different features also.…
- USB Device Error PL2303HXAI went into the device manager and found the error, my cable no longer worked. This same issue happened to a USB Card reader also.…
Hello, I have a problem by first installing, i type in my dmr number, than i was asked to put in a password…., how do i get this password ?
Great question. Will see if I can find out, though it is not my program. I must have got one from somewhere.
I used my BrandMeister password.
I’m having the same problem, I need to know what to put in the ESSID & Password fields. And with the new update, do I need to add anything to the new DMR+Opts field.
ESSID I just put in 01. Password you need to register with brandmeister go for brandmeister. I think you can just use password for most others.
Im trying to configure the DMR on your Droid-Star but I have a doubt
Could you please let me know what should I write in the ESSID ?
Thanks in advance
Hi Albert, This is a great question. I didn’t have much trouble doing it at first, but wonder if something has gone wrong with this app. Just so you know, it is not my app, and I don’t know much more than what I wrote, but wanted to share my experiance to help others with this app. Will let you know when / If I am able to find out.
Anything in between 00-99. Assign a different ESSID number to each unit.
I have a droid pixel 2. Using DMR I get continuous pings but never connect. I have a brandmeister password and am pinging on all 3 US and Canada but never connect.
Sorry to hear Mark. Maybe RE-install and try a non US network. It worked first go for me and most people. Have you tried YSF network?
I got my pixel 2 to work. I had to key the mike (transmit button) to connect DMR. I needed a brandmeister password to hookup on US. Thanks for the response.
Glad you got a bit further mate. Will listen out for you on the air!
Sorry got email wrong should be firstname.lastname@example.org
Can droid star be set up for a hotspot frequency?
Not sure it will do that
Thanks Ben for accepting me into your system Ross
Hey Ross. It isn’t our system but it is a great one. Thanks for letting us know what you think of it.
Thanks Ben for the reply email and I still have to learn what to do but I do find it very interesting.
That is part of the fun of the hobby mate, always something to learn or explore. Hope my site helps a little. Happy new year mate.
Buon Pomeriggio, sono qua per chiedere spiegazione, ho notato sulla stanza XRF non appare il tasto grande del TX (PTT) forse faccio qualcosa di sbagliato?
GRAZIE IL Vostro Lavoro
73 de IK0YUK Mauro
Hi, and all the best for 2021! Any thoughts about possibility to add a PTT bluethooth BUTTON ! Like you can add to ZELLO! Would be great to have. //Bengt
I’ve just learned about Droid-Star. Android is not my primary platform so my knowledge is weak. I have 3 Android devices, 2 tablets and a phone. All are a good 7 or more years old and droid-star is not pulling up in the Play store on any of my devices.
Does anyone know what the minimum level of Android is to run droid-star?
These are the versions I have at the moment:
Toshiba AT3000SE Tablet. ver 4.1.1. Kernel 3.1.10
Samsung GT-N5110 tablet. ver 4.4.2. Kernel 4.4.2
Samsung GT-S7560 Phone. ver 4.0.4. Kernal 3.0.8
I’m guessing I need to acquire a newer device to run droid-star?
Good question. Not sure myself. Hopefully someone can answer
i also have the same problem with android 4.4.2 tablet droid star does not appear in the play store and i hope they implement the possibility of ptt recognition as the other zello app
Hi. I have managed to connect ut when I talk it says NOT LINKED
I habe found a vocoder for my arm64:
It works fine again
How can i make this vocodet resident?
I have had droid star working ok but when it updated i have had problems and I downloaded the vocoder plugin and loaded it into droid star on my android phone and it works very well with the plugin loaded but as soon as i go out of the droid star the vododer plugin drops out but when I want to use it again it will load back in not a problem.I would like to know is there away that it can be saved into the phone so I don’t have to reload it evrerytime I use the app.Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Just a note at the heading of my question I used truckie for a nick name because i use to drive trucks but not anymore I have been retired for 12 years now and I see I should have put my name there sorry about that it shoud have been Ross.