DROID-Star

After talking to a friend just to the north of me, he told me about the app DROID-Star for Android. As I only have apple devices, this wasn’t initially an option for me, however I do have an Android TV box which I use for Amateur Radio, so will review it from that device.

At the time of writing this review, I must state it is an Early Access version. It has been updated slightly since.

This app connects to D-Star and Yaesu System Fusion reflectors and repeaters via UDP and decodes audio and data in software. No AMBE hardware is required. It is written by Doug McLain.

Start screen to DROID-Star

The two option menus at the top of the screen allow you to Reload DMR IDs, Reload host files, and check the current version. I recommend reloading these.

From here you have the following options:

• Mode – select what mode you want, this could be REF, XRF, DCS, YSF, DMR, P25 or NXDN.
  • Before pressing connect, select your Host, and fill in the other details.

Once working you will be able to listen into the room you select and it will display the call sign and even caller ID (if there is one), on the user that is transmitting.

As I said earlier, this app will no doubt be updated. I will try and keep this review updated as the app changes, but this may not be possible. Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed. If there are other apps you would like us to look at or think we should know about, please let me know. Don’t forget to subscribe to our posts by putting in your email address on the above follow us page.

I also spoke to Doug AD8DP, who wrote this app, and he said to mention that the app is very much in beta development stage. He plans on users being able to add custom reflectors/servers and so on. He also wants to add TX ability with the choice between on board software IMBE/AMBE encoding or remote AMBE server. He also said to me that he APK installer file can be downloaded directly here for Amazon Fire users and others without access to the Google Play Store: http://www.dudetronics.com/radio/DroidStar.apk

UPDATE:

I have now heard many people use this app with great ease. The biggest question I have had is what is the password. Just put in your DMR network username and password.

One of the good rooms is YSF with Host 0-0-CQ-UK-Aussie. Then again, I am from downunder, but you might hear me on this one.

Please post and questions or comments below. Or join the discussion at https://groups.io/g/DroidStar

If you enjoyed this read, please don’t forget to subscribe to our page so you get updates every time we post new updates.

Other Interesting Reads

23 thoughts on “DROID-Star

1. leonard November 30, 2020 / 12:05 pm

Hello, I have a problem by first installing, i type in my dmr number, than i was asked to put in a password…., how do i get this password ?
    pleas help

• Ben December 1, 2020 / 8:30 am

Great question. Will see if I can find out, though it is not my program. I must have got one from somewhere.

• Peter December 22, 2020 / 10:31 pm

I used my BrandMeister password.

2. Albert December 16, 2020 / 9:30 am

Hello boss
    Im trying to configure the DMR on your Droid-Star but I have a doubt
    Could you please let me know what should I write in the ESSID ?
    Thanks in advance
    Albert EA3AVS

• Ben December 18, 2020 / 5:05 am

Hi Albert, This is a great question. I didn’t have much trouble doing it at first, but wonder if something has gone wrong with this app. Just so you know, it is not my app, and I don’t know much more than what I wrote, but wanted to share my experiance to help others with this app. Will let you know when / If I am able to find out.

• Peter December 22, 2020 / 10:54 pm

Anything in between 00-99. Assign a different ESSID number to each unit.

3. Mark December 28, 2020 / 3:31 pm

I have a droid pixel 2. Using DMR I get continuous pings but never connect. I have a brandmeister password and am pinging on all 3 US and Canada but never connect.

• Ben December 28, 2020 / 8:41 pm

Sorry to hear Mark. Maybe RE-install and try a non US network. It worked first go for me and most people. Have you tried YSF network?

• Mark Felton December 28, 2020 / 9:23 pm

I got my pixel 2 to work. I had to key the mike (transmit button) to connect DMR. I needed a brandmeister password to hookup on US. Thanks for the response.

• Ben December 29, 2020 / 2:28 am

Glad you got a bit further mate. Will listen out for you on the air!

4. Mark Felton December 29, 2020 / 4:37 pm

Can droid star be set up for a hotspot frequency?

• Ben December 29, 2020 / 8:18 pm

Not sure it will do that

5. Ross Bonney December 31, 2020 / 11:44 pm

Thanks Ben for accepting me into your system Ross

• Ben January 1, 2021 / 1:02 am

Hey Ross. It isn’t our system but it is a great one. Thanks for letting us know what you think of it.

• Ross January 1, 2021 / 8:23 am

Thanks Ben for the reply email and I still have to learn what to do but I do find it very interesting.

• Ben January 1, 2021 / 8:45 am

That is part of the fun of the hobby mate, always something to learn or explore. Hope my site helps a little. Happy new year mate.

6. Mauro Calderini January 3, 2021 / 2:37 pm

Buon Pomeriggio, sono qua per chiedere spiegazione, ho notato sulla stanza XRF non appare il tasto grande del TX (PTT) forse faccio qualcosa di sbagliato?
    GRAZIE IL Vostro Lavoro
    73 de IK0YUK Mauro

7. Bengt January 3, 2021 / 3:18 pm

Hi, and all the best for 2021! Any thoughts about possibility to add a PTT bluethooth BUTTON ! Like you can add to ZELLO! Would be great to have. //Bengt

8. Brian Pietrzyk January 5, 2021 / 6:04 pm

I’ve just learned about Droid-Star. Android is not my primary platform so my knowledge is weak. I have 3 Android devices, 2 tablets and a phone. All are a good 7 or more years old and droid-star is not pulling up in the Play store on any of my devices.

Does anyone know what the minimum level of Android is to run droid-star?

These are the versions I have at the moment:

Toshiba AT3000SE Tablet. ver 4.1.1. Kernel 3.1.10
    Samsung GT-N5110 tablet. ver 4.4.2. Kernel 4.4.2
    Samsung GT-S7560 Phone. ver 4.0.4. Kernal 3.0.8

I’m guessing I need to acquire a newer device to run droid-star?

ve3bwp

• Ben January 5, 2021 / 10:05 pm

Good question. Not sure myself. Hopefully someone can answer

• franco January 6, 2021 / 12:21 pm

i also have the same problem with android 4.4.2 tablet droid star does not appear in the play store and i hope they implement the possibility of ptt recognition as the other zello app

• EB1MM March 8, 2021 / 11:31 am