Welle.io is a DAB and DAB+ software defined radio (SDR). It runs on Windows, Linux and embedded devices like the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3.
You can find the program and where to download it from their website.
Using the Software
With all these things, the software is updated regularly. You can see on the page where you download it from, what changes have been made with each version. The first thing I struggled to find was how to tune in the stations. I will show you how to further on in this post.
If you select the three dots up the far top right, you can select settings. I recommend keeping them as is unless you want to change something here. The Auto Detect should select your SDR that is connected.
If your keen, you can also check out the Expert Settings from the same area.
Tuning in Stations
Towards the top left of the interface is a All Stations button. To the right of this is three little buttons. Click on this and select Start Station Scan. This will give you a list of stations once it is finished. You can star the ones you like to create a favorited list.
You can add displays by pressing the orange plus button down the bottom right. Some of the displays change as you hover over them, others have waterfalls. They can be removed or added as needed. I assume these will change all the time as the program is developed.
The app allows you to record the station you are listening to. By default, recordings are MP2 files stored in the /tmp folder.
There are several hotkeys that can be turned on or off. They included m = mute audio, r = start or stop recording, – = switch to previous service, + = switch to the next service and so on.
Some stations transmit a slideshow. I have usually found this is just the station’s logo or the current program’s logo. The program is able to display this after it receives it without errors.
In summary, I highly recommend this easy to use software with your SDR device. It is extremely easy to set up and get going. At the time of writing this, there are only a couple of YouTube video’s and hardly any reviews. The YouTube video’s appear to be from the developer and just show you how to set it up. I believe this simple program will become popular in time mainly because of how easy it is to setup.
I hope you enjoy the read, please let me know below what you thought or have any comments.
Enjoyed the read, here are some other things you may enjoy.
- DudeStarHere is a free windows program that will connect your PC to: DMR Yaesu Fusion…
- Welle.ioWelle.io is a DAB and DAB+ software defined radio (SDR). It runs on Windows, Linux…
- TreehouseAn unusual name, but a catchy name no less, just like Peanut that was written by the same person, David PA7LIM. If you like Peanut, then you will like this project also. This project, like Peanut, includes some amazing coding and thinking.…
- Software Defined Radio (SDR)If you don’t have one of the latest and greatest expensive scanners, you will struggle…
- BlueDV Windows 10 GD-77I found it hard to find useful information on how to run the OpenGD-77 hotpot mode with Windows 10. At the time of writing this, there is a lot about this topic using a pistar and even android or ISO, but not much with Windows 10. This is my experence with BlueDV and Open GD-77 using a Windows 10 PC.…
- Iphone won’t download photosI get the “Device is unreachable” Error message when trying to import media from iPhone to Windows 10 PC. …
- ProScan and ProScan Client UpdateI recently started using ProScan after years of using FreeScan. I have always enjoyed using FreeScan as it is easy to setup, I can download outputs from the software, and the main reason “it works”. However ProScan seems to be more graphical and has different features also.…
- ProScan and ProScan ClientI recently started using ProScan after years of using FreeScan. I have always enjoyed using FreeScan as it is easy to setup, I can download outputs from the software, and the main reason “it works”. However ProScan seems to be more graphical and has different features also.…
- USB Device Error PL2303HXAI went into the device manager and found the error, my cable no longer worked. This same issue happened to a USB Card reader also.…